Soundpost Patch on Unlabelled Northern European Violin, circa 1830
This violin came to us with a crack in the front over the soundpost, which had been previously repaired and cleated. The top of the soundpost was directly on the crack and whilst everything appeared stable we felt there was still weakness in the front. We did some initial set up work and the instrument sounded terrific (!) and was catching the attention of customers however we felt we could not sell the instrument with such a known weakness so we decided to remove the front and properly patch the soundpost area.
We started the repair by making a wooden counterform to support the front whilst we fitted the soundpost patch.